Search This Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Road Trip to Zarcero, Alajuela, Costa Rica

We decided to drive to the town of Zarcero last Sunday morning. We hadn’t been there for a number of years and it’s a nice place to visit. From the center of Grecia to Zarcero is 39.1 km which isn’t far as the crow flies, but the winding, climbing mountain roads will add to the driving time. It’s a beautiful drive though.

Zarcero is at an altitude of 1736 m, so the temperatures are brisker than what we experience where we live. It’s an agricultural area - coffee, vegetables, dairy, cheese. There are two protected areas that attract tourists - the Juan Castro Blanco National Park and el Chayote Protected Zone. Another attraction is the Los Angeles Cloud Forest Reserve.

I think what Zarcero is best known for is all the topiary in the park in front of the church, Iglesia de San Rafael Arcangel. The church is beautiful, inside and out. We didn’t stay long because it started to rain but I managed to take a few pictures. 









Oops, I didn’t have time to smile!




1 comment:

Lynda Rice said...

Diana,

This is Lynda Rice again. I have posted this same comment on several of your posts hoping that you will get notification of at least one! :-) I am definitely moving to Grecia on December 9 (Have to finish a lease here). I would GREATLY appreciate any information you can give me on finding a place to live. I do have a temporary place to "land" set up, but once there, I would like to look for something with more than one bedroom. I would rent long term (6 months for sure), or housesit for now.

Any suggestions?

Can't wait to arrive!!!

Lynda Rice