Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Naans & Curries, An Ethnic Indian Restaurant

Yesterday we drove to the Lindora area of Santa Ana, an affluent suburb of San José, to try the breakfast buffet at Naans & Curries. This restaurant features gourmet ethnic Indian cuisine and the breakfast buffet is a recent addition to their menu.

The restaurant is located in the Momentum plaza, which itself is a really interesting place. There appear to be twelve restaurants to choose from - Aji Limon (Peruvian), Arden Beer Garden, Artisano Deli, Bambai (Mongolian), Door 74 (a club I think), Kotoy (Japanese), La Fabbrica (pizza), La Ostra (seafood and grill), La Paleteria (ice cream), Los Pitaz (Mediterranean), Lucha Libra (Mexican) and Naans & Curries. I can see us coming back here to try some other cuisines. Around the plaza are some large metal horse statues.

Naans & Curries has a large covered outdoor eating area and this is where the buffet foods were set up. They start service at 7:00 am but on this day they were a bit delayed due to unforeseen circumstances, so I would suggest arriving around 8:00 am. Excellent service and wait staff. They explained all the foods to us, what they were made of and so on. The owner introduced himself to us and apologized for the delay. We didn’t mind waiting a bit and ordered coffee for Lance and a mora lassi for me. Lassi is a drink made with yogurt, water, spices and the mora is a type of berry grown here. It was icy cold and delicious.

The food - all I can say is it was wonderful. There were so many choices available, starting with a fruit, cereal, salad and cheese (including paneer) table. They also had an omelette station and a parantha station - I think these were paranthas - very thin, rolled with a filling of cauliflower (or maybe potatoes). Wonderful, flavourful soups. A table of large tureens filled with different curries. We ended up so full that we couldn’t try a lot of the items that were available. Still, we were brought a dessert that we were told we had to try, “just have a bite”. A kind of pancake with chocolate poured on top and cream. Needless to say, we didn’t eat the rest of the day.

Food from India has to be one of the world’s great cuisines - the subtle flavours are incredible. There is such a wide variety of local and traditional ways of preparing food. What we had today was mostly from south India, which we had never been able to try before. Coming from Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, we were used to Punjabi recipes. This area is one of the world’s largest South Asian enclaves and most are Punjabi Sikhs (Wikipedia).

The price per person for the buffet and unlimited smoothies is 7,500 CRC, not including the mandatory taxes and service charge. Including both of these, the final total for two people was 18,500 CRC (about 32.00 USD). We added a tip.

We’ll definitely be returning. 

A part of the Momentum plaza:


My lassi drink and the table centerpiece:


Two kinds of rolls to eat with the soup, three kinds of sauces, a chickpea filled pepper:


What I think is a parantha, with two sauces:


Three horses running:


Look at the saddle - all fashioned with metal, even the reins:




9 comments:

Lynda Rice said...

I can't even fathom that all that great food was only $32.00 (US Dollars) for two people! I mentioned before that I will be living in Grecia for 3-6 months, arriving December 10. This will be yet another place I will try to visit. Thank you for your informative blog posts! ----Lynda

Lynda Rice said...

This is the second time I have tried to post a comment, so I will try again! I really enjoyed your experience here with Indian food! I will be moving to Grecia in December and will definitely try out the some of the restaurants you have visited! ---Lynda

Lynda Rice said...

Diana,

I have posted several comments, but haven't seen them appear on your website. You did respond to one regarding the weather. I will be moving to Grecia for an extended stay (6 months---so far!) on December 10, and would love to meet with you sometime. I read your posts from when you first arrived in CR to the present. I am fascinated by your continuing story! How shall I contact you when I arrive?

Lynda Rice

Diana Miskell said...

Hi Lynda - Blogger had a problem recently with letting me know when comments were left on my blog so I could publish them. This is so I can control spam. They have since fixed the problem and I can now see your comments.

I now see yours of August 24 (Indian food) and your comment from September 2nd.

Wow, you must be my number 1 fan! Thanks for reading everything - that’s a lot of years.

We can meet for lunch when you arrive. My email address is dianafmiskell@gmail.com and my cell phone is 8746-7031. I’m notorious for missing calls so email is probably best. Cheers!

tasteofindia said...

Hi Diana Miskell, I hope you like the indian food. I would like to invite you to have breakfast, dinner or lunch in our restaurant (Taste of India506) located in Escazu, Trejos Montealegre, Escazu Village, 2do nivel, diagonal al I.N.S.Our chef work passionately to create delightful mouth-watering dishes, the use of authentic methods, indigenous spices and ingredients are key to this art, with dishes from a traditional Indian menu with firm favorites to the unusual & exotic.We are confident that your Taste of India506 experience will be a pleasant one also you can share your experience on your blog. Even you can Refer A Friend & Save Money.

http://tasteofindia506.com/refer-a-friend-save-money/

We also organize few indian events in restaurant check out our videos on youtube with #tasteofindia506

Link: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%23tasteofindia506

Looking forward to see you in restaurant.

Diana Miskell said...

Thank you for introducing us to your restaurant, Taste of India 506. Your menu looks wonderful! We definitely will be there soon for lunch.

nilaksh said...

very well well said,Indian food is always very relishing and it is full of spices and herbs.Whenever i come to India I always prefer to have street food. I always love to try out various food joints in the city.Recently i have discovered some places to eat in amritsar.
My experience was outstanding and I enjoyed my food.

Diana Miskell said...

All those restaurants look wonderful! Thanks for the list, Nilaksh.

Chatora Restaurant said...

Nice Post! Keep it up.
For the top best indian food surrey, you must try Chaska which is a very nice Best indian restaurant in surrey bc,
indian restaurant in surrey bc,
Best curry places in surrey bc,
nice indian restaurant near me
good indian restaurants in surrey