Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Monday, October 9, 2017
Wednesday, October 4, 2017
Today Lance saw a small bird fall down into our yard from somewhere and our cat did also. The cat started stalking the bird. Lance said, “it’s a parrot.” This is unusual ... flocks of small green parrots fly over our house all the time but they never stop in our yard and they don’t have blue colours on them.
Grabbed Cat and put him in the house. The pretty green/blue parrot was okay, busily running up and down bushes eating whatever parrots eat on bushes. I think his wings may have been clipped because he could fly very short distances but not gain any altitude. This made us think he was someone’s pet. Plus, he wasn’t very nervous and was not with a flock.
The bird ended up across our fence on our neighbour’s property. We went next door to see if we could help the little parrot but he was nowhere to be seen.
Walking back to our house .... with all the rain we have had recently, our short laneway was very slippery. Wearing flip flops, I did a flip flop and took a fall. Net result: one bloody knee, one pair of pants with hole and a muddy shirt ... both going in the garbage.
One Aleve tablet .... I should be fine!
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Sunday, August 27, 2017
Saturday, August 26, 2017
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Ready for takeoff:
Leaving beautiful Costa Rica:
I believe this is the coastline of Quinta Roo, México:
I think this is the Belize coastline:
Approaching George Bush Airport, Houston:
So, what were my first impressions of North America from the air and on the land? Houston was hot and humid! So many freeways, so many cars, people going everywhere all the time. Flat land.
We overnighted in Houston and travelled Houston-Dallas-Vancouver, B.C., the following day. We were not seated together on this leg but I did okay. The Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team was on board. They had successfully played in Dallas the day before and were headed home. I was seated between one of the players and a doctor from Dallas who travels frequently to Vancouver because he and his wife own a house in Whistler, B.C.
Vancouver International Airport has gorgeous west coast Native artwork beautifully displayed in the international arrivals section. Some photos:
So there we were, driving familiar roads after six years away. I knew almost right away that I did not want to return and live here. British Columbia is a spectacularly beautiful province but just not our home any longer. Being there felt like taking a step backwards.
Friday, August 11, 2017
Wednesday, August 2, 2017
Saturday, July 8, 2017
Wednesday, June 21, 2017
Monday, June 19, 2017
- Gutters cleaned (especially important here because we do not want standing water where the dengue carrying mosquitoes can breed).
- Entire outside of house washed, including all the wood on the underside of the overhanging roof.
- Outside perimeter tiled areas and patio area scrubbed and cleaned.
- Five inside fabric Roman blinds - they were removed and taken to Orlando's home where his wife cleaned them. Believe me, that must have been hard work because they were stained with mold and water marks and she returned them sparkling white.
- All inside floors scrubbed and cleaned.
- All inside walls washed and cleaned.
- Wood ceilings washed and cleaned. Our ceilings are very high and this is where the scaffold came in. All the wood was cleaned and polished by hand.
- Leaking faucet in shower repaired.
- Water in toilet was constantly running and he fixed it.
- Orange tree pruned and all the suffocating vines on the tree canopy removed. Now the tree is open and receives sun and moisture. Orlando is returning in a month to remove any vines that have started to regrow.
- All basura (garden trash) removed. This included piles of palm leaves at the back of the property and up a hill. The best way to reach them was to machete a path through the bougainvillea from the road. For this job, Orlando brought in a fellow with a big truck and it took two loads.
- Replace three window screens.
- Replace lightbulbs - a lot of the lighting is very high up and neither of us want to climb up a ladder. I went to the hardware store for the bulbs and screening with everything written out in Spanish for me by Orlando.
- All windows cleaned inside and out.
- Four ceiling fans cleaned.