Search This Blog

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Breakfast at the Feria

This morning we went to the Grecia feria to have breakfast at one of the sodas - there are a number to choose from - and to walk around looking at all the gorgeous fruits and vegetables. You can also buy dairy products, breads, meats, fish, and plants and flowers, clothing and leather goods.

Most of the sodas do not have menus, but they may post what is available on a board. In any case, you need to know what you want to eat and you need to order in Spanish. We decided on coffee, scrambled eggs and gallo pinto. Cost for two meals was 6,000 colones, about $12 USD.

The coffee was super hot and strong, the way we like it. We drink our coffee black.


Here are our breakfasts (sorry that the picture is not in focus). You can see that the portions are generous. They also came with fried plantains, which are sweet and almost caramelized. We couldn’t finish all the rice and beans.


At the end of our meal, our server gave each of us a square of cajeta - a fudge like candy. I might try making these.

After breakfast, we wandered around. Rambutans are in season now (also known as mamon chino and lychee). I also bought a few mangosteens, because this is a fruit I hadn’t tried yet.

Rambutans on the left and mangosteens on the right:


Here is what they look like cut open. I like the mangosteen - it’s a bit tart.


Our final purchase was fresh flowers - gladioli and a white flower that I can’t identify. The flowers will continue to open up along the stem so it lasts for quite a while.



3 comments:

bobbi said...

I always enjoy the Grecia feria, and mamon Chino is one of my favorite fruits. It reminds me of a cross between a honeydew melon and Thompson seedless grapes. Enjoy while they are in season! Your flowers are gorgeous.

Lynda Rice said...

Hi Diana. You sent me a response a couple of days ago to my question on your "Weather in Hacienda El Paseo, June, 2018" post. I asked you why you moved to Grecia. I appreciate your honest answer! Since then, I have already decided to move to Grecia, and will probably do so in early December. If there is any way we can stay in touch, I would surely appreciate any information you can give me regarding how to settle in. I have a line on a place to stay temporarily while I look around.

Thank you!
Lynda Rice

Paul Francis said...

Thank you for taking us into what this fantastic place has to offer!