Search This Blog

Saturday, June 2, 2012

One Year Anniversary

I meant to write this entry on May 31st but we've been so busy!

We arrived in Costa Rica at 8:30 pm, May 31, 2011. Funny how the exact time sticks in my head. I remember how I felt when the plane's wheels touched the runway - we had actually arrived after all the planning and work.

Tortuga Island


Yesterday we were in San Jose and stopped at the historic Gran Hotel for an early light lunch at their outdoor terrace. We were commenting on how San Jose is so much more familiar to us one year later and we can find our way around easier. By the way, the Gran Hotel serves very tasty ham croissants that come with a small side of fries. If I were staying overnight in San Jose, I'd like to try this hotel. It's right across from the National Theatre and near a lot of other attractions.

But I digress. We celebrated one our year anniversary Thursday night with friends at Gregos Video Bar on highway 3 just outside of Atenas. We usually sit outside on the covered deck, push a bunch of tables together and enjoy the company and the food. On Thursdays (or Thirstdays), if you buy beer and keep your receipt, the following Thursday you will receive the same number of beers free. I think this also applies to certain other alcoholic drinks.

So, looking back on our first year - it has been wonderful and we are very happy to be here. We have so much more of Costa Rica to explore. Much more to learn, more people to meet, different terrific foods to try.

My advice to those thinking of moving here: learn Spanish; embrace the Costa Rican culture; try as many food items as you can; eat at the sodas; always be polite; shop local - both the shops and the products; stop comparing Costa Rica unfavourably with your home country; ride the buses; learn patience; use the taxis; have fun; smile lots; learn about the flora and fauna; appreciate every day where you are.

Pura Vida!

Oxcart Parade, Atenas


5 comments:

Photolera Claudinha said...

Sound advice! Congrats again for your anniversary.

Anonymous said...

I can hardly believe that it is one year already. Time sure passes by quickly. The move has been a big success for you and a decision that you are very happy to have made.

Arlyn said...

It's hard to believe I've been following your blog for one year already! I've enjoyed every bit of it. Congratulations!

Diana Miskell said...

Arlyn - I'm so flattered you have been reading and enjoying my blog. Thank you so much! I'm sure there will be lots more to write about during our second year.

Diana Miskell said...

Isn't it amazing how fast time can go. Yes, we are delighted that everything has worked out so well. As Lance said to me, "If not now, when?".