Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Empañadas

I decided this week to try making empañadas. I used this turkey/chicken recipe that I found at Laylita's Recipes. All the ingredients were in my kitchen, including a cooked chicken breast in the freezer, so I didn't have to go out and buy anything. I made Laylita's dough recipe - very easy.

This is the white flour that I use:

 

The package is decorated for Semana Santa (Holy Week) which this year runs from April 9 to April 15. The bags are also decorated with Christmas themes come December. Every time I see Nacarina flour bags, I think of this:


This is what the prepared chicken filling looked like, sitting on an unbaked empañada before folding:

 

Empañadas folded, edges sealed and covered with an egg wash prior to baking:

 

20 minutes later, all cooked. Oops, some of the filling ran out - no problem:

 

The recipe made about 16 empañadas so lots left over to freeze for another day. What I like about these is that any kind of filling can be used, savory or sweet.


No comments: