Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Sunday At Our House

Sundays are very quiet in our neighbourhood. Well, except for the occasional squabbles between our resident white winged doves and ground doves. I scatter seed out for them and the ground doves, who are much smaller, get chased away and yelled at. There are five species of ground doves in this country and I think ours are the common ground dove.

One pair of white winged doves decided we are nice people and our house is a fine place to raise a family. They have built a nest on a small ledge just outside our loggia.


The Mrs or Mr (who knows) on their nest.

Hubby (I guess) on our patio - they all look the same.

It’s a flimsy nest, not more than sticks. The male brings them to the female and she builds the nest. Both sexes take turns incubating the eggs. I guess we’ll see the hatchlings in about twelve days.

I walked around our garden and took some photos.

Vanda orchid in flower.


Anthurium.


Baby mangoes - we are going to have a bumper crop this year.


A strawberry plant has popped up in one of the planters. It’s sending out lots of runners.


We have several rose bushes, nicely scented.


Flowering aloe vera.


It’s a warm afternoon and this ice cream was calling my name. Who could resist?

Enjoy your Sunday (or sundae if you want) everyone!

2 comments:

Lynda Rice said...

Thank you, Diana! I learned something from your post: all this time I thought those birds were mourning doves. Now I see that there is quite a difference! When I lived in Atenas, I, too, watched a pair of white winged doves start and raise their family. I am hoping that will happen again; it is fun to watch.

The plants are beautiful; I especially like that plant you call "Ice Cream." No doubt indigenous to this area, and soon to be an extinct, due to the continuous consumption by all of us here in this warm and sunny climate! Haha!

Diana Miskell said...

My Birds of Costa Rica reference says there are 11 species of doves here. Whoever planted our garden originally did a fabulous job … so many plants/bushes I’ve never seen before, plus numerous orchids.

Haha re: the Ice Cream Plant!