Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2019

Club Aleman de Costa Rica - Expo Fair

This past weekend - November 16 and 17, 2019 - the Club Aleman de Costa Rica (German Club of Costa Rica) held an expo fair at the National Convention Center in Alajuela.

Fifty plus companies were exhibiting - offering food, drink and crafts of German origin. In addition, there was an exhibition of services related to the economy and cultural exchange between Germany and Costa Rica. As an aside, there are many different clubs in Costa Rica for the expat - Canadian, USA, British, Dutch and Italian as examples.

We had been wanting to see the convention center so decided to go. Freeway traffic on this Sunday was good - but it can be a nightmare during the week. 

The grounds are beautifully landscaped:


These beauties are Dietes iridioides. The flowers last just one day:




One of the booths:


Too early for beer but you could get it:


There were booths selling chocolate, coffee, Christmas ornaments, sausages on buns, and all sorts of products - we decided on pretzels with spicy mustard. When I saw a fellow selling smoked fish, I had to stop. Here is his card:


It was trout he had smoked and it looked really tasty. So we bought trout, cream cheese with spinach and smoked trout mixed in, and a very nice green sauce to go on the fish. The sauce is made with honey, mustard, spinach, dill and balsamic vinegar. 


Not inexpensive but some things in life are worth a little splurge. Bruno lives in Escazu and he said if we wanted to get more, give him a call and we can visit him at his house. I guess that is where he does the smoking.


2 comments:

Lynda Rice said...

I absolutely love your coverage of the types of food you can order/purchase in CR. I am curious: what types of meals do you cook at home? Mostly Costa Rican? North American? All of the above? What types of Costa Rican dishes are you comfortable fixing at home? When I lived there last Spring, I pretty much cooked North American, delving a bit into the tamales, and easy stuff! But then, I never have been much of a cook--always playing it safe. Needless to say, I ate out A LOT there, because I absolutely love the Tico food.

Diana Miskell said...

Hi Lynda - I guess I cook eclectic meals. I try to have lots of different ingredients in the pantry, fridge and freezer so if we get the urge for an Asian dish, I can make something. I have a Costa Rican cookbook and have tried quite a few of the recipes to learn how to use the different tropical vegetables/fruits. The only beef we eat is ground beef. It’s mostly seafood, chicken, pork. Since we have the smoked trout, I’m going to make crumpets with spinach, cheese and the trout on top. Guess it’s mostly N. American style. We love the Tico food also.