Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Dental Visit

Since moving to Grecia from Atenas, we have been looking for a new dentist. On the recommendation of several expats in Grecia, we decided on Dr. Marco Vega Quesada. The reasons for this are that he speaks English, and is young which to me means he is up on all the newest treatments and has the latest equipment. Yes, yes - I know - my Spanish should be better but when it comes to dental/medical I prefer to converse in English so I don’t misinterpret anything important. Here’s his business card:


His offices are across from the cathedral and central park on the west side. The cathedral faces west (as do most churches here apparently) so you can orientate yourself that way. Dr. Vega is on the second floor of the building that also houses Pops ice cream and Kentucky Fried Chicken on the first floor. These are completely normal directions for Costa Rica.

He has a really nice receptionist and a small waiting room. There are three treatment rooms. Today I went for a cleaning and a consultation. The first treatment room I was in looked out onto a balcony and the park. They don’t skimp on air conditioning and I was told they would give me a blanket if I was too chilly. All the equipment was modern. Dr. Vega did the cleaning with help from an assistant. They work fast. Then it was off to another treatment  room for the x-rays.

Final cost for the cleaning, which included the x-rays, treatment assessment, polishing and a fluoride treatment - 40,000 CRC or about $70 USD.

My next appointment is in November to start the work for replacement of a crown (estimate, if I remember correctly, was less then 300,000 CRC or less then $520 USD.) And then we will go on from there.

2 comments:

Lynda Rice said...

Very helpful! Any recommendations of dentists in Atenas?

Diana Miskell said...

Hi Lynda. I checked the Atenas Facebook page and there were lots of recommendations for dentists. So when the time comes, we can check it again for you.