Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Urgent Doesn’t Necessarily Mean Urgent

On Tuesday of this week, I had a routine appointment at our assigned EBAIS so the doctor could assess my latest blood work results and write new scripts for the drugs that I take.

I take the meds to control a couple of medical conditions I have had for years and years. I won’t go into them because it’s boring for everyone, including me. I’m only writing about this to explain how we coped when sent to emergency or urgency at our hospital.

Here in Grecia where we live, we have our own hospital, Hospital San Francisco de Asis. It’s about a 12 minute drive from our house. This is one of the advantages of living in Grecia as opposed to Atenas (where we first lived). The assigned hospital for Atenas is in Alajuela, about a 30 minute plus drive away (and horrendous parking).

So, my last blood work results were not altogether good, with elevated potassium levels probably/maybe due to one of the latest drugs I had been taking. The doctor told me that  elevated potassium levels can cause damage to the heart.

My doctor said she was sending me to the hospital for observation (we were communicating through my phone translator). She printed out an “urgent” requisition for the hospital. The receptionist looked at it and said I was to go there “ahora” (now).

Phooey. So off we went. We did not know exactly where to go in the hospital so we showed the paperwork to the guard at the emergency entrance. He pointed to a small lineup outside a door just down the street from him. Showed my requisition to the guard at that door and he sent me in right away.

Whenever I wasn’t sure where I was to go, I just showed my paperwork to someone and I was redirected. Everybody was so helpful. Ended up at an admittance window where my info was again entered into a computer.

After that, we were sent further down the hall to another room where my BP, temperature and oxygen levels were taken. Further info entered into the computers. Then directed to sit in the waiting room. What seemed like chaos to our eyes at first then became controlled organization as we sat and watched everything around us.

There are doctor consulting rooms all around. We actually didn’t have long to wait before my name was called. The doctor was really nice - the translation app on my phone is invaluable. All my medical history is immediately available on the computers for any doctor/EMT, etc. to look at. 

She did an ECG and sent me off for bloodwork. I didn’t have to stay for observation. We were not sure where the blood lab was and a very kind and cheerful young lady took us right there and handled my requisition at the counter for me.

So now we know how to deal with this section of our hospital. Lesson - just show your paperwork to anyone who works there! It’s obvious we are foreigners and Costa Ricans are always willing to help out.

I was happy to be sent home, knowing that if there was a problem I would have heard about it by now. But if I had been admitted, I would have had no concerns about the level of care I would have received. It’s top notch.

P.S. The guards that are all around the hospital are not there because it’s a dangerous place to be. They are invaluable for keeping lineups orderly (especially now with Covid), directing people to the right place and so on. I always go to them when I am unsure about where I should be.

2 comments:

Arlyn said...

Thank you for this vey informative entry, but more important is the fact that you were well enough to not have to stay for observation. Hope you are on the mend.

I am curious, however, of the translation app. Care to share? I'll be heading to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks, and, although I do speak Spanish, I would feel more confident with the app.

Diana Miskell said...

Thanks, Arlyn. Yes, I am well. The translator I use is Google translator. I think I pay three bucks a month for it and well worth it. My Spanish is simply not up to medical terminology at all. Fortunately, we have two bilingual friends who will help us if need be.