Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The Craziness! How to Cope At Times in Costa Rica!

In my last post, I talked about our Subaru breaking down on us and being hauled off to our mechanic, Carlos.

So we don’t have a vehicle right now. And tomorrow, Wednesday, is going to be so busy. Our housekeeper, Flor Maria, doesn’t live far from us. Normally, she walks to our front gates and phones me and I drive down to pick her up. Then I drive her home when she is finished work.

Well, I can’t do that tomorrow so I texted her and asked her if she could take a taxi to and from our house and we would reimburse her for that cost. No problem. One down.

Number two: our side by side refrigerator broke down the other day. Our landlord, Rodrigo, arranged for a repairman to come to our house on Wednesday afternoon (or so I thought). Tonight, Tuesday, I get a phone call from Rodrigo saying “open the gate” (we can open and close the gates with our phones). I thought, Rodrigo what are you doing here at this time of night? He lives in San Jose.

He was in San Jose, phoning me and asking me to open the gate for the refrigerator repairman. The repairman looked at everything, asked me to unplug the refrigerator in the morning to defrost the freezer. And he would return at 10:00 am tomorrow. Okay, so now the repairman and our housekeeper will have to figure out how to work around each other.

Number three: I have an appointment at our EBAIS tomorrow at 1:00 pm for a routine ECG. I will have to arrange for a taxi to get me there and back. No problem - I have taxi connections. EBAIS is our assigned medical clinic. There are similar clinics all over Costa Rica.

Number four: We need some groceries... I can do an online order with Compre Bien but I don’t know when they will arrive with the order. Also I don’t know what to order until the refrigerator is fixed. No point in buying perishables if the cooling unit doesn’t work.

Today was quite wacky .. we only have one egg left for breakfast tomorrow!

No comments: