Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2020

A Sunday Drive - Costa Rica - August, 2020

This afternoon, we decided to drive along the route we use to get to Compre Bien, one of the grocery stores we shop at. I wanted to take some photos of the local areas we travel in. Lance found the road on Google maps some time ago so we decided to investigate it. We discovered the drive to the grocery takes only 10 to 12 minutes from our home and we avoid the traffic in Grecia. However, the road is not always in the best condition. Part of it is not paved and the heavy rains at this time of year turn the road into deep ruts.

Turning left from our condominium gates:



                         You can take the high road or you can take the low road!
                                       We take the low road on the left:                               



A narrow bridge up ahead. What is the metal basket on the left? It’s where garbage bags are placed for garbage pickup. It prevents animals from tearing into the bags. Notice the lack of shoulders and the deep ditches which are designed for coping with torrential rains.



Start of the heavily rutted road. Notice the absence of deep ditches.



The road improves and becomes less narrow and more open:



Overcast this afternoon:



And here we are at Compre Bien, a very modern grocery well stocked with everything you could want and 100% owned by Costa Ricans.



We are driving home via a different route. I like the way this tree was not cut down for the road access. Instead they molded the road around the tree.



Sugar cane:



Home again. This is the resident rooster who lives at the condominium’s front gates. The guards feed and water him. He never strays away.



And this morning I made French baquettes:


Take care everyone - wear your masks and practice social distancing.

4 comments:

Lynda Rice said...

I love this! With just a drive to buy groceries (I appreciate that you patronize the Tico-run businesses), you have covered so much of the culture along the way. It is amazing how much we can learn if we observe the environment, as you have done. These tidbits will be so valuable for those of us [who are not in CR] who are curious about everyday life in Grecia. Thank you!

Diana Miskell said...

Thanks, Lynda. It’s nice to get positive feedback.

We went for a different drive yesterday and will do my next post on it.

Arlyn said...

Thank you for this post. It reminded me of the times I went grocery shopping with my mom in Heredia. My parents had retired to Costa Rica (which is where my family is from) but returned to the states due to health reasons and because my siblings and I all live here. I hope to return some day as I still have aunts, uncles, and cousins who live there.
I remember the ditches and the metal baskets for the garbage.

Diana Miskell said...

Arlyn - thanks for sharing your experiences with me. Hope you can return to visit your relatives once the world has settled down to some semblance of normality.