Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Puntarenas, Puntarenas

Yesterday we drove to the port town of Puntarenas in Puntarenas Province, on the Pacific Coast. Our reason for going was to attend the Puntarenas Gastro Tour at the Pacific Plaza and the House of Culture.

However, there didn’t seem to be a whole lot going on other then people standing around listening to a speaker - not at all like what the promotions promised. So we abandoned this idea and walked across the street to the open air cafes that line the waterfront. We were enticed into the Kiosko Acapulco by the promise of ceviche, one of my favorite things to eat. This restaurant has been around since 1962.







We shared one large order of shrimp ceviche - it came with banana chips - and was cold and tangy with lots of cilantro. Also had cold fruit drinks - mine was tamarindo and Lance had mora (a type of blackberry grown here). I can’t get enough of these drinks and always order one - a different fruit each time.




Our ceviche - large enough for two to share.







The copo man pushing his cart - you have to try one of these treats.



Cruise ship pier - no boats today.


I like Puntarenas a lot. It’s a Tico town so we get to mingle with the locals. Super fresh seafood comes in on the fishing boats and there are lots of excellent seafood restaurants. The restaurant prices were a bit higher then we are used to, reflective of tourists disembarking off the cruise ships I guess.

I wanted to use the washroom (baño) before heading home so I asked one of the restaurant workers where it was and he took me to it, apologized that they only had one, and said “Welcome to Costa Rica” (haha, guess I will always look out of place). I knew enough to tip him in colones so maybe he rethought his first impression that I was a tourist.

 We retrieved our car from the watchiman and headed home. This was a nice day trip.

2 comments:

Lynda Rice said...

Thank you, Diana, for including so many interesting places in your posts! Puntarenas sounds wonderful; yet another place to visit on my "to-do" list! It is great to get a first-hand view from you and Lance, rather than go through a commercial website (case in point: the misleading advertisement for the Puntarenas Gastro Tour). You give us a view of places in CR through authentic, first-hand experiences. So valuable!

Diana Miskell said...

Thanks, Lynda. I found out later that the gastro tour actually started at noon and apparently was a big success. But I know I saw advertising that said 0900 start. Oh well, it’s their first year for this so stuff happens.