Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2018

Weather in Hacienda El Paseo, June, 2018

We moved from Vista Atenas to Hacienda El Paseo on April 1, 2018. Weather records have been kept since that date but this is the first summary of those records. During April, May and June the weather moved from the end of the dry season to the midst of the "green" or rainy season.

Daytime highs are now generally lower - all because of significantly more cloud cover. All along, the "feels like" temperatures have been quite moderate. As the air temperature rises and gets quite hot where we are located (e.g. 92°F / 33°C on one day in early May) it is typically accompanied by a significant drop in relative humidity. The result is a "feels like" temperature ("heat index" in the U.S.; "humidex" in Canada) which is below the actual air temperature. In the interior of Costa Rica where we have lived, there is rarely a stifling combination of heat and humidity as can happen in the eastern U.S. and Canada.

With regard to rainfall in June, there were two days with over 2 inches, 5 days with between 1 and 2 inches, and 12 days with less than an inch. (1 inch = 2.54 cm / 2 inches = 5.08 cm).


The proximity of Hacienda El Paseo to the center of downtown Grecia can be seen here.

5 comments:

Lynda Rice said...

I just spent the day reading your ENTIRE blog, from when you left Canada to now. I retired a little over a year ago, and am planning to spend about 3 months in the Central Valley to see if I want to live there long-term. I have narrowed my search down to either Atenas or Grecia. Why did you move to Grecia? Which place would you recommend? I am single, and don't mind living in a small town. My thinking was to move to Grecia initially (less of a culture shock with a little more shopping, etc.), and then I could travel to Atenas and check that out, too.

I realize three months is not very long, but I am prepared to extend to 6 in the same visit. I would like your opinion!

Lynda

Diana Miskell said...

Hi Lynda - I’m sorry I am just seeing your comments now. I used to get email alerts when people commented but that seems to have stopped. Wow, that was a lot of reading you did! Our rent was raised on our little house in Atenas, so we gave notice. We couldn’t find anything suitable in the Atenas area. We bought a car in December and that meant we could look elsewhere. While tootling around, we saw a sign for Grecia and decided to drive there. We were so impressed by the surrounding countryside - all the open fields of sugar cane and coffee - gorgeous. Atenas feels more closed in. Checked on line for rentals in Grecia and found what we were looking for almost immediately - at the right price. Atenas is apparently 35% more expensive for rentals. We really like Grecia. As you say, there is more to do and we have found there are more Ticos who can speak English.
You should get a good idea of what is what in the three months. Or, you may not want to leave! If you have further questions, please ask.

Lynda Rice said...

Diana,

I answered your comment, but not on this post, so I will do it again here. Hopefully you will get email notification!

Since my comment, I have decided on Grecia and will be flying out on December 9! I still have a lease here to complete.

Any help you can give me as to available housing would be phenomenal. My plan is to stay at least 6 months---and then, who knows? I would like to rent long term, or house sit. Preferable more than on bedroom. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Lynda

Diana Miskell said...

Lynda - Join http://www.quepasagrecia.com - tons of info here from shopping to house rentals, etc.

Our rental agent was Chris Schoo at https://www.greciarealestate.net/homes-for-rent. Lots of rentals to look at on his web site.

Also, there is a Grecia Facebook page that is very useful - you can ask questions - I always get helpful answers. You will have to ask to join. This is where you may find out about housesitting opportunities.

Hope this helps.

Lynda Rice said...

Thank you so much for the information regarding Chris Shoo. I have visited the website and sent an email. You are so helpful. It is nice to have someone like you in Grecia to "be my eyes," until I get there!

I am not of Facebook, so I do appreciate this other avenue. I have joined a couple of housesitting sites, but have had no action there.

Again, thank you for your help!

Lynda