Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Lime Cake

Recently, I purchased a lime cake mix. I just assumed the instructions would be in Spanish, which I could have read, but it turned out to be a cake mix from Portugal.

No problem - I went to my trusty iTranslate app and learned what milk and eggs are in Portuguese. I was a bit stymied by one instruction which told me "to shave". Shave what, I do not know. Anyway, I plowed ahead and substituted lime juice for one of the three eggs called for in the instructions because I like strong lime and lemon flavors. Found a round cake pan in the kitchen supplies included in our rental house (thanks, Kathleen!).

My friend and neighbor, Rose Mary, brought me back an oven thermometer and a box of parchment paper on her last trip to Texas. I finally know what the temperature is in our little oven when it is set to "bake" and "high" and both settings are pretty accurate for baking and so on. The parchment paper is so handy to have. I priced a box of it here and it was around $20!

Into the oven went our cake, baking for about 40 minutes. It came out a bit lopsided - I think I had the pan set too far to one side. Oh well, at least it did rise. I made a lime icing, using lots of lime juice. After piercing holes in the cake, I iced it. I pierced the holes so the lime icing could sink into the cake and add even more lime taste.

Limes here in Costa Rica are plentiful all year around and are inexpensive so there is no reason not to have them as a constant in my kitchen.

Here are some photos of my cooking endeavors today:

 

The cake mix.
Finished product - Top Chef quality. Hey, I even put lime peel on top.
Listing a bit to port.

 

2 comments:

Niki M. said...

Yumm, me thinks me will be trying this one!! thanks, I hope it bakes in my grill because I do not have an oven:)

Diana Miskell said...

Hi Niki! Let me know how it works out.