Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Zygopetalum Orchid

Last year, I bought a number of orchids from someone who was leaving Costa Rica. None had tags so I had to wait until they flowered before being able to identify them, although I was able to guess from the leaves what they most probably were.

Here is my zygopetalum orchid which has just finished flowering. It is mounted on a slab and normally hangs on our orange tree where it thrives under dappled light. I brought it up to the patio so we could enjoy watching the flowers unfold. They only lasted a few days but the scent was lovely - a spicy odor - and they attracted big bees.

I had a zygo in my orchid collection in Vancouver. The flowers were similar. If I have misidentified this orchid, please let me know.

A few days before flowers opened.
Opened flower.

 

Big bee (on left) headed to the flower.

 

8 comments:

Photolera Claudinha said...

Great pics, Diana, especially the bee/blooms combo! Orchids are so amazing, thanks for a great story.

Diana Miskell said...

Thank you, PC! I knew you would like the "big mother of a bee", as Lance described it - he couldn't sit outside when that orchid was in bloom. Insects love him.

Unknown said...

Stunning!

Diana Miskell said...

Thanks, Bill!

Unknown said...

Diane,

I used to grow Zygopetalums, and that orchid is not a Zygo. The leaves are quite similar though. I can't recall the genus name of the orchid pictured, but did grow that type of orchid also. Very nice!

Diana Miskell said...

Thanks, Carol. Put on your thinking cap! I'd love to know what this one is.

Unknown said...

This is a catasetum alliance orchid.

Diana Miskell said...

Thanks for identifying it for me. I don't understand why two photos have gone missing .....