Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2014

Artist's Easel

As you may or may not know, I am a painter specializing in portraits of cattle and horses. You can see examples of my work here: http://www.dianamiskell.com. Sometimes I paint dogs, cats and other animals.

When we lived in Cloverdale, British Columbia, Canada, I had a few of the cheap easels - the kind that wobble and blow over in the wind. Professional studio easels are very expensive. We didn't bring the cheap easels with us to Costa Rica.

So I have been doing my paintings with the canvases propped up on table tops, not a very satisfactory arrangement. It is also difficult to take decent photos of finished paintings for my art website without a proper support.

Enter my neighbor and friend, Pete Snyder. Pete is an artist too. He creates large abstract paintings, beautiful furniture using Costa Rican woods and his own designs, and also interesting lamps. He doesn't have a web site yet but when he gets one, I will post a link on my blog.

My other neighbor and friend, Gordon, is helping Pete organize his collections and generally getting Pete's work out there for public exposure. My contribution has been taking photographs of Pete's various creations so Gordon can catalogue them. They asked me what I wanted in return.

It didn't take me long to think "easel, I need an easel!" I found an easy design on line. With Pete's adeptness with tools and wood, he had it built within a week and delivered to me this morning. It's great. Strong and sturdy, adjustable, will hold a large canvas. It won't wobble when I am painting. He said he's going to make one for himself too. I should have had him sign mine.

Pete and Gordon delivering my easel.
Pete - Me - Gordon

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Pete, I am an abstract artist from Montreal, Quebec who will be in Paritta, Costa Rica for 3.5 months . I would be overjoyed if I may commission you to build me a large easel like in your photo. I, too had been painting on a plastic table and it’s the pits . I am bring my brushes , paint, rolled raw canvases in an extra suitcase. If you like I can bring you art stuff that you might need and can’t get in CR .
I have a little website lisny.studios.com
Hope to hear back from you,
Best regards, Irene Lisny
irenelisny@gmail.com
514-515-7940
Pura Vida