Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Christmas in Atenas

I've mentioned in a previous post how the holiday season differs in Costa Rica then what we experienced in Canada, for us anyway. No more running around in crowded malls trying to find overpriced gifts. Apparently, if you ask a person what they received the previous Christmas, they won't remember.

For us it was all about friends, food and having fun. The cookie exchange hosted by neighbours Rose Mary and Tony was a huge success. My contribution was Nanaimo bars.

The cookie table
They weren't kidding
It was delicious
 

We had Christmas Eve dinner with our Canadian friends, Diane and John, at their lovely home.


Happy group
Thank you both for the delicious ham dinner and great company. On our way home, I left my camera in the taxi. I phoned Mario the next morning and he drove all the way to our house and delivered my camera - on Christmas Day!!! Don't ever say a bad word about Ticos in my presence. Just before Christmas Day, Jorge gave us a big wrapped basket of different kinds of fruit with a nice card. It was from both him and Mario, they share driving the same taxi.


On Christmas Day, our neighbours Alina and Mike invited us for dinner with them and Mike's mother, Patricia, visiting from North Carolina. Another feast - this time turkey. We were sent home with turkey for sandwiches the next day, and homemade cookies and candies.

I haven't yet uploaded the photos I took at their house so will post them on another blog entry.

We also went to the Festival of the Lights in Atenas with friends. The parade started just after dusk, with lighted floats and school marching bands from all over. I took photos and made a video and lost both somewhere on my computer. Maybe they will eventually turn up.

Now it is a brand new year - Feliz AƱos Nuevo to everyone!

 

No comments: