Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Preparing Dinner

I decided to make a meat loaf for dinner tonight - the first one I've made in a long time. The recipe was in the Vancouver Sun newspaper - www.vancouversun.com - dated Saturday, October 23, 2010, and named "The Green Man's Meat Loaf".  It has spinach, parsley, basil and hot sauce in it, along with other good things.

Anyway, meat loaf is a good thing to cook for two people because there are lots of leftovers that can go in the freezer for another meal....plus, it just tastes good, especially with creamed corn. This must be comfort food.

All was going well until I got to the instruction that said "in a large bowl" and I realized all my large bowls have gone to better lives via the charity shops. Light bulb clicked on in brain: there was still one left in the garage slated for the last voyage to the great beyond. Given a good scrubbing, it was still useful for our meal.  Next problem: no loaf pan left in kitchen. Doesn't matter: you can shape a meat loaf with your hands and place it on parchment paper, which you then roll up to make edges which, hopefully, will catch the juices so they don't leak into the oven and burn and smell. Oh yes, the parchment paper goes on top of a sheet pan. For some reason, I kept our sheet pan - even tho I rarely bake cookies.

It smells pretty good.

No comments: